Topic Options
#11560 - 08/12/11 05:47 PM Hello & Thank you
BeautyForAshes Offline
member

Registered: 08/12/11
Posts: 15
Hello,
This is my first post to the Psychopath Victim Support Community board. Thank you for offering a safe place for everyone to share how their lives have been impacted by a psychopathic family member. Even though we have no further contact with the person in question, they continue to be steadfast in trying to interfere in our daily life by influencing other family members, friends and acquaintances.
My family shares the feelings of vindication by finally arriving to a place where we have discovered that the person who has perpetrated unprovoked, unspeakable acts against my family is without doubt, a psychopath.

Today a great awakening has come to my family. We shall stand faithful together, united and committed as a family. Our feet planted on firm foundations and our minds not deceived.

No longer our hearts be troubled and nor longer be afraid.



BeautyForAshes
_________________________
Winning means walking away.

Top
#11562 - 08/13/11 01:23 AM Re: Hello & Thank you [Re: BeautyForAshes]
Dianne E. Offline

Administrator
member

Registered: 11/15/02
Posts: 2789
Loc: United States
Hi BeautyForAshes, welcome to our community. If you are willing it would be interesting to hear your story, our members are always wanting to hear there is life after a Psychopath and what steps you took? I am very glad your family is united, normally people find themselves divided so I hope you have some more you can share how you survived and seems like you are able to move on.

Di

Top
#11564 - 08/13/11 07:17 AM Re: Hello & Thank you [Re: Dianne E.]
BeautyForAshes Offline
member

Registered: 08/12/11
Posts: 15
Hi,

I will first explain that my husband and I will share this user name. While I agree with what he says as a faith statement (in the future there is hope, we will overcome all of this), I am not at that point yet. I will explain from my perspective;

I believe that I had a psycopathic father (he died 3 years ago) and still have a psycopathic adult sister. I didn't always know what was wrong with either of them but they act(ed) so similar and caustic.
I can't say that I miss my dad. I miss having what I imagine that a loving, kind father would be. I don't miss being belittled, bullied, emotionally and mentally abused. My dad was a bully. He ran the family which consisted of my mom, older sister and older brother and I. We dared not make a move without his permission. When we felt it necessary to do so, we hid our actions from him. Mom would tell us not to tell him things because then he would get on her case about it. All I ever heard was lies covering lies covering more lies.
My dad also sexually abused me. I have blocked much of my childhood out of my memory.

My brother killed himself in the late 80s. My dad never displayed any kind of acceptance towards him. He was, like me, "too stupid to do anything right"


I am an adult now and have kept away from my parents and sister for a combined time of almost half of my life. My family was alays very mean to my husband. My dad called him horrible names and projected every horrible characteristic and scenario of his own onto "Jeff", accusing him of the worst things. When "Jeff" and I had kids of our own, we chose to keep them away too.

After my dad died, my mom in her co-dependant state relied entirely on my older sister, "Karen" for every detail in her life. Dad never allowed us freedom to do anything for ourselves so Mom had to learn in her late 60s, how to manage finances.
After a 15 year absence from my parents and sister (and her family, we tried for a third time to reestablish a healthier relationship with my mom than we would have had with dad around. It felt safe to take our then teenaged daughters around their home. At first "Karen" exuded charm, seemed caring, concerned and was willing to help at the drop of a dime. We believed that maybe she had finally changed. In the following year or so, we realized that she had gotten much worse. "Karen" gossips like it's going out of style, she is the Queen of busy bodies, she lies, manipulates, berates, steals and makes up the most stupid excuses for her behaviour, even telling people that she will forgive them for being mad at her! "KAren" smiles like a chesire cat as she explains away her horrible behaviour by blaming everyone else. She once stated that she will not be held accountable for anything that she says or does. Time has proven this statement to be true. "Karen" weasels in and out of situations, provoking fights, over and over again. Her adult children hate my husband because of the lies she has told them about him. Most of my 200 or so family on both of my parent's sides have been told about what my dad did to me. "Karen" had the nerve to sit in a room full of my relatives at a family shower and talk about my abuse and then give her own opinion as to whether she believed it really happened or not. A cousin called me later and told me what she did. I called "Karen" and confronted her right. Of course she lied. I said "oh? so and so called and told me"... she then said.. "OH! ... well.. yeah... yeah... I guess I did say that".

My father left my mother a very large estate which "Karen" has her hands all over. Neither "Karen" nor her kids like the fact that we came back and will now take part of what they have come to believe is 'their' inheritance. "Karen" has talked my mom into buying a home for her daughter. We aren't supposed to know that my mom dishes out money for little ingrate who is very greedy and unappreciative. More lies, it goes on and on...

At this point in my life, with all of this deception, I feel like giving up. I really want to punch "Karen" in the face and then punch her daughter but it isn't worth going to jail for. I am hopeful knowing that others out there that understand us. Before this, it felt like we were alone in the world, trying to fend off this awful monster. After my dad died, my sister stated that she has to 'fill his shoes'--that is NO understatement. I really wish that I didn't know her. I have given up trying to defend myself to my mom who is in complete denial of the abuse and anything else my 'perfect' dad could have ever done. She won't listen.

As a family, "Jeff", our daughters and I know that this isn't a solitary battle anymore. Knowing that there is a name for this madness helps. Reading what others have posted gives us inspiration and the courage to continue on with what we are doing in trying to heal. Cutting off communication, Keeping my mom at a more comfortable distance and concentrating on our own health and happiness definitely comes first. As others have said on this forum... "we will never win"... maybe... winning doesn't mean competing... maybe winning means walking away. Thanks for reading.

Laura
_________________________
Winning means walking away.

Top
#11565 - 08/13/11 01:34 PM Re: Hello & Thank you [Re: BeautyForAshes]
Dianne E. Offline

Administrator
member

Registered: 11/15/02
Posts: 2789
Loc: United States
Hi Laura, what a profound statement that sums it all up when dealing with a Psychopath:
Quote:

"we will never win"... maybe... winning doesn't mean competing... maybe winning means walking away.


And may I validate that life with them was no cupcake, more like living with a couple of atom bombs. I can hardly grasp how hard it must have been to have your abuse put on display in such an evil manner. I am sure that many of your relatives had to take a gasp and see what a horrible statement that was. It is very healthy that you and your husband have survived all of this together and at least you have your own family. Like friends it is better to have a small group that shares your love than a mob who in the end will never be there for you with unconditional love.

Our minds have amazing powers and blocking pain can be one of those. I don't remember much of my childhood and when in therapy there was this drum beat to dig up all the shreds, I only went so far as to "get it" and see the picture. As an adult when I had my head slammed to the cement in a business deal gone horribly wrong at the hands of a Psychopath, clearly my mind came to my rescue and blocked out the worst part, the betrayal by "friends". I found a couple of short pieces I had written at the time of the betrayals and really had it so tucked away I didn't even remember writing it and knowing about it at the time. I knew it was me that had written it so I must have know but tucked it into that spot of retreat in my mind, in both cases I had descriptions of when the "bomb" hit me by these other people, it was my handwriting, it was in my house that I found the writing so I had clearly for very good reason blocked it out of my mind. I also discovered what I posted in the Quips section a story I wrote called "Anchor People", that came out of trying to figure out what a friend was, could I ever trust in the future. It was so odd, it was in this tiny little journal book and when I ran across it while clearing out some things, I glanced at it and thought, well I'll sit down before I toss this and read it, the rest of the pages were blank except for what I had written about what a friend is and the short tale of "anchor people", it was written and blocked out for around 15 years. All that was in the journal was that story, I had no memory of writing it as I had no memory of the tremendous betrayal. I remember well the actions of the Psychopath, I had blocked out the betrayal by the couple of people I had thought were my friends.

I learned a lot of the value of compassion and what and who friends really were. It actually felt cleansing when a few of the people who turned on me tried to contact me later in life, I decided I needed a "neutral" zone in my life. Seeing their names pop up in an email or even my address book caused me to trigger back so I just deleted and blocked them. I don't want to have them in my life as an ugly reminder. Do I hate them, no because I hated myself long enough for the actions of others that I have a neutral zone and they will never be part of my life now or in the future.

One of them persisted and still sent their ego blown Christmas “letter” and because they were “friends” with my mother before she passed away we both agreed that we would no longer even open the letter. In honor of my mother when the last letter arrived last year I caught the postal carrier and when I saw who it was from I told him to mark the letter return to sender and if he had a stamp saying I was dead to use that. They tried to contact me later by email wondering why the mail had been returned and I simply blocked their email and actually felt a sense of relief. I usually buy a new address book every couple of years or so and had kept the old ones and the final step was I had the people in my address book I wanted to know where they were and I tossed the old ones because I didn’t want their names in my home. I wish them no ill, I am just done. By that simple act I found my neutral zone. That has become my life philosophy, I don’t engage in abuse and I don’t accept abuse in any form. It was the first time I made a New Year resolution and it has released any hold that abusers had on my life. I don’t dish out abuse and I don’t accept abuse. Nor will I have thoughts of abuse, it is hard work, but it is worth it in the end. Finding compassion for ourselves first and then we will find true peace and be able to not block out our feelings and remain numb and spun but by being neutral and finding our true center.

Realizing that you have done nothing wrong is the key, let them grub all they want for the money, in the end they might just not get what they think is their “reward”. The old saying is still true, money doesn’t buy happiness but for many it buys power, so that is fine if that is how they view things, that doesn’t mean that we have to compromise our own sanity by engaging in their actions. Trying to persuade people that you were the wronged one is a futile exercise, it keeps us in the mud pit or actually mud is the wrong expression, it keeps us standing in quick sand which is constantly shifting and keeping us off balance.

It was very kind of you to share your experience and any tips you had along the way are very welcomed. Many come here to our community and have given up on hope. There is hope, it is what and how we process things for ourselves. No one ever did anything wrong to deserve to be abused.

Di

Top

Moderator:  Dianne E.