Topic Options
#16190 - 01/03/14 05:11 AM Managing a relationship with a psychopath
Buttercup Offline
member

Registered: 01/01/14
Posts: 5
I have just come to realize that my stepson (18 years old) is a psychopath. He has been difficult since I have known him (7years old). He has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals and residential schools. He is now a high school dropout and a convicted felon. My husband, his ex wife, and I have been through countless acts of violence, been exposed to sexual perversion, fires, manipulations, and more. We have drawn a line in the sand and let him know he is not welcome in our home. However I realize that he will be back. I want to know how to maintain that line and how to keep my family safe. Advice please.

Top
#16192 - 01/04/14 10:00 PM Re: Managing a relationship with a psychopath [Re: Buttercup]
Dianne E. Offline

Administrator
member

Registered: 11/15/02
Posts: 2789
Loc: United States
Hi Buttercup, welcome to our community.

I hope some parents in your situation will drop by and offer what works for them. I can only speak from my observations over the years.

First off, it is an incredible huge step to be where you are in recognizing the problem and drawing a line in the cement to protect both yourselves and other family members.

Yes, they do return, and the one thing that sticks out to me is to do some serious continuing work on boundaries so when he does return you are solid as a rock. Always remember that there is no bigger victim in the world than a Psychopath while they are the ones doing the victimizing. It is going to be had when/if he returns with some horrific story so being prepared is very important

I would make sure the schools if you have other children there, the community, your neighbors and everyone you knows gets the memo that he is NOT welcome anywhere in your vicinity. Pray he leaves the area, does he now live close to you?

Does he have contact with any relatives or people close to you?

Di

Top
#16193 - 01/06/14 05:33 AM Re: Managing a relationship with a psychopath [Re: Dianne E.]
Buttercup Offline
member

Registered: 01/01/14
Posts: 5
He is currently staying with his mom about 30 miles from us. She took him back in and they are currently looking for an apartment for him.

Boy do I relate to the victim game. I'm over it. We do have a therapist who is very supportive of maintaining our boundaries and helping us with a game plan.

I appreciate the suggestion about contacting neighbors and schools. My husband and I have a 9 year old son who loves his big brother. Hurting him would be an ideal way to get to his dad. Thankfully, my kids recognize that he is not safe and don't have contact with him.

Thank you for your reply, I hope to hear from others as well.

Top

Moderator:  Dianne E.