Hi Jan and Damskrose and all,
Well I am not from Belgium but the first real serious hint for what is wrong with my kid came indeed from this bottumless pitt syndrom. I mentioned that name shortly after becoming a member of the forum.
Once I was a contactwoman for the organisation for parents of these children so know quit a bit about it.
As some people do know here, I resent greatly the whole RAD consept.It is different from what we mean and understand it to be when biological children are involved..
RAD...The R in it means....RE -active.
Now of course we know all about the little children who are abandoned by the mother ( and rest of the family), We all heared also about children who are abused, not looked after, didn't get food etc etc etc. Most of those chidlren came from a third world country and the people who are the parents of those children often don't know what to do and how to handle the sitiuation.
A study showed long ago, that children who aren't toucht can even die. This study was done in the 1920..... so the knowledge is there for a long time already.
I think that every person can understand that some ( I mean; not all) adoptive children will have difficulties to bound.
What the bottumless pitt syndrom is about is biological children, well loved and cared for, looked after in a proper way and still have the signs we are talking about.
Where is the R in this situation?? Re- active in what??????
I met a lot of parents during the time I was a contactwoman for the organisation. Most of them had more then one child, some of them had 4, 5 or 6 children. From a family one was having the BPS....Why I wonder...Would it be that the parents disliked this one child. Treat it different from the others? Cook diner for the family and not give it to that one child... Not loving the one child who had in time 'developed' this syndrom..Wouldn't that be having it's toll on the other children, wouldn't they have shown some behavior that wasn't 'normal' because of it????....
I agree again. The term RAD is maybe suitable for a lot of the things that happen in the lives of the children...But what about the rest of them..What if the RAD doesn't quit fitt the child...What about the biological parents who are traped in this RAD...Parents, as we said earlier; who first look at what they did wrong.. Who feel guilty already for having such a child... DO we realy want them to feel even worse, have even less a support group? No I don't think so... The easy way out is indeed to call it all RAD, but it can't be satisfying for a real intrested psychiatrist to just ignore the other possibillity.
With children of the BPS were tests done. Brainscan were made and indeed there are differences in the brain compared to 'normal' children.
This means it is inharented and not because of nurture is it? When looking at the youth of my son..Yeah things have happend..But was it a reason to develope this syndrom or psychopathy? What about my other son, he is raised the same way and doesn't show any sign of it what so ever!!!
I met several women on this forum and we wrote a lot so many people here will have noticed; Lady Crown had a terrible youth... She is a very caring. loving. sensible woman.
There is Sapphira, did you read how she uses words.... wonderfull and again caring, loving, sensible and there is me... All were reased by psychopathic parents.......... When it is nurture, why are we who we are, Not psychopaths, Not consciousless not harse people who don't care.....
We all try to do what ever we can to make others happy, to be thoughtful of our actions and are careful with people even who are acting horrible towards us...
So.... I do think some of the parents are helped by the information that came with the RAD...But it doesn't fitt all and please...let us not put this title on every situation that could fitt the discribtion...
I am convinced even that not all adoptive children with the RAD are re-active!
Some of them will be and some of them won't ..it is as simple as it is.... But as long as professionals will not take it serious we will have to do with what is offered...And we will have nothing else offered to us as long as we take this in like thirsty ( cars) fish....
regards Segaya